Thursday, December 4

Cookie Swap

Scrappy Jessi, the hostess with the mostess fun is hosting a cookie blog party today. Yes, finally a reason to get out that older than retro cookbook and try something different. Shortbread. A simple short recipe that gives big results in cookie satisfaction. I think this is excellent as a replacement for some of those sugar cookie days during Christmas season. It is not too gloppy sweet. I also took some cream cheese frosting and thinned it out a lot and then crushed some Texas pecans into it - this was a sort of dip for the shortbread - Excellent.


SHORTBREAD

1/4 pound butter
7 Tablespoons shortening
1/4 cup powdered sugar
1/4 cup brown sugar
2 cups flour
Sugar (for light dusting)

Cream butter and shortening with sugar. Work in flour. Roll about 1/4 inch thick; cut into small shapes or sticks. Sprinkle lightly with granulated sugar. Bake on a greased cookie sheet in 350 degree oven until light brown. Makes app. 3 dozen.

Note: Sis (the one time cake pro) told me I made these way too big - they kept falling apart. Since I was going to allow myself one cookie I had gotten the largest round cookie cutter I could find. Make them into small shapes.

Now off to check out the other cookie party particpants...